Nexstar Inc. is looking for a Vice President/General Manager to lead its broadcasting, digital, and mobile operations at WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee (DMA #62) following the upcoming retirement of the current Vice President and General Manager, Coby Cooper on May 7, 2021. The successful candidate will be following in the footsteps of a 39-year broadcast veteran who has been with Nexstar Media Group since 2006.
Located in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains, adjacent to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and home to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville has a lot to offer.
Knoxville’s home to 55 parks, a renovated downtown, a great public school system, and a full roster of music and sporting events.
In the last five years, Knoxville has become one of the 10 fastest-growing cities in the country according to WalletHub.
U. S. News & World Report named the city one of the Top 50 Places to Live, and Livability.com calls Knoxville one of the Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S.
WATE-TV is the ABC affiliate in Knoxville and a legacy broadcast operation delivering exceptional service, local news, and special programming to East Tennessee for more than 67 years.
WATE-TV and wate.com joined Nexstar Inc. in 2017.
Under Nexstar’s leadership, the station consistently has grown, ratings, revenues and profits and now produces more than 46 hours of local content per week for the residents of the East Tennessee area.
WATE-TV is also known for producing and carrying special local content such as the Gatlinburg Christmas Parade and sports programming like the USA Cycling National Championships for the past 3 years.
Along with Nexstar’s other Tennessee television stations in Nashville, Memphis and the Tri-Cities, WATE-TV has jointly produced political debates, community forums and country music entertainment available to residents across the state.
The WATE-TV team of dedicated employees is highly-engaged and committed to multiple community and client partnerships designed to improve the education and quality of life for local residents.
Requirements for the Vice President and General Manager position:
- Minimum of five years of experience as a successful General Manager for a commercial broadcast station.
- Significant sales management experience in leading and driving revenue growth in broadcast and digital. Special emphasis on New Local Direct revenue growth, including self-created non-traditional revenue success and sports and community sponsorships.
- A proven track record providing professional, demonstrative leadership and the ability to in develop a leadership team and promote collaboration and teamwork among all station departments.
- The vision and ability to enact short-term and long-term plans for the development of the stations’ digital and mobile platforms.
- Track record of success in maintaining a focus on the bottom line.
- Broad range of programming experience with an emphasis on localism is essential.
Nexstar seeks a stakeholder – someone who is engaging, promotes good citizenship and wants to make a positive impact on the community
If you are driven by a determination to succeed, have a tireless work ethic, a commitment to creative, successful revenue generation, dedicated to serving the community, and enjoy working alongside an exceptional team of dedicated employees with America’s largest broadcasting company, then apply online at www.nexstar.tv.